Transport Accident Commission (TAC)

Injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents can have a serious impact on you and your family’s financial security.

Barbante TAC Lawyers have extensive experience assisting injured motorists to pursue their entitlements through Transport Accident Commission (TAC) claims. We can help you with your entitlements to and claims for:

  • Common Law damages for pain and suffering and/or economic loss, where it can be proven that the transport accident was wholly or partially someone else’s fault and that you have been ‘seriously injured’.
  • Disputes about ongoing entitlement to benefits, through either the Accident Compensation Conciliation Service or the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal;
  • Reimbursement of medical and like expenses, including doctor, physiotherapist and chemist accounts (all reasonable services and treatments related to the accident);
  • Loss of earnings for up to 18 months, and further payments due to loss of your earning capacity for up to another 18 months;
  • Lump sum entitlement under your superannuation policy, for total and permanent disability (see more under Superannuation);
  • Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses related to home help and gardening services;
  • ‘No fault’ lump sum compensation for permanent impairment.

How much time do I have to make a TAC compensation claim?

You must make a claim within one year of the date of the injury or the date you first realised you are injured as a result of a transport accident. However, the TAC may consider a claim made outside this time limit – for up to three years – if reasonable grounds exist for the delay.

The laws surrounding your right to compensation through a TAC claim can change regularly though, so it is important you contact us for the most up-to-date, expert advice.

What if the accident happened outside Victoria?

If you were involved in a transport accident that occurred outside of Victoria, you will still be entitled to TAC benefits if:

  • You are a Victorian resident who was injured in an accident involving a Victorian registered vehicle; or
  • You are a non-Victorian resident injured as an occupant of a Victorian registered vehicle.

If a Victorian registered vehicle was not involved in your accident, your claim will be governed by the relevant authority in the state where the accident occurred.

Contact us. Our Experienced TAC lawyers provide the most up-to-date advice and to answer any of your questions.

Your first no-obligation consultation is free.

No win? No fee! Contact Us Today.

Make a claim enquiry

Please enter your first name
Please enter your surname
Please enter your phone number

Type of claim:

Please make a selection
Please enter a message